Friday, March 21, 2008

Fighting in the Streets

So news of a new live action Street Fighter movie has been shaking up the interwebs of old school fanboys and girls.

This new movie tentatively titled Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, will explore the background of Miss Hundred Rending Lightning Kick herself. Slated for a worldwide 2009 release, the new film will be headed by Kristin Kreuk of Smallville fame as said female protagonist. I'm going to assume that Kelly Hu, Maggie Q, Zhang ZiYi, hell even Brenda Song, were not available when casting agents came calling.

Or maybe the producers of this movie figured since the 1994 live action cult classic could justify a French-accented William F. Guile, the supposed most American of alpha males in America, they could get away with casting an actress who looks about as Asian as Carrot Top does normal.

In other Street Fighter related news, enjoy Jackie Chan in drag as Chun-Li:



Wikipedia tells me that this is from a film titled City Hunter. So LOL-tastic it'll have your mind imploding with the sheer awesomeness of the spectacle.

Finally, take a look at College Humor's Street Fighter: The Later Years series. It's a re-imagined take on the series 10 years after the 1994 film. Highly addictive and fairly good given the limitations.

Dear casting agents of the movie, if CH could find an actress who's Asian enough to fulfill the obvious requirement of the role but not too Asian to alienate the popular demographic, I'm sure you can too. Let's celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series by actually sticking closely to the source material.

Top 10 quotes from the classic 1994 action film:

10.Ken: This sucks! Those guys are good guys, like us!
Ryu: Lately, I don't feel very good.


9. Cammy: Cammy here, are you all right?
Colonel William F. Guile: I'm okay. I'm just half dead.
Cammy: And Bison?
Colonel William F. Guile: All dead.


8. [Ryu and Ken have been grabbed by the neck by Sagat during the ambush of Bison's party]
Victor Sagat: [raging] Are you with me, or against me?
Ken: [desperate] Uhh, is that multiple choice...?


7. Bison: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.
Chun Li: You don't remember?
Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.


6. Colonel William F. Guile: It's the Collection Agency, Bison. Your ass is six months over due, and it's mine.


5. Zangief: General Bison is a bad guy? If you know then why do you work for him?
Dee Jay: Because he paid me a freakin fortune, Man! If you know what's good for you you'll save your own ass!
Zangief: ...you got paid?


4. Dee Jay: Oh, Yes. My mama didn't raise no fool, baby.
[he sees someone coming]
Dee Jay: Oh man, I should have stayed at Microsoft.


3. Balrog: [Balrog and Honda are chained in prison. Balrog grabs his chain] Honda, give me a hand.
E. Honda: We've only been in prison two hours. Maybe next month.


2. Capt. Sawada: A single boat against everything he's got? The pilot would have to be out of his mind.
Colonel William F. Guile: Luckily, Bison has driven me crazy... so I'm going to do it.


And numero uno goes to ...
Colonel William F. Guile: Troopers! I have just received new orders. Our superiors say the war is cancelled, and we can all go home. Bison is getting paid off for his crimes, and our friends will have died here... will have died for nothing. But... we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideals like these - freedom, and justice - they get packed up. But... we can all go home. Well... I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up-river, and I'm going to kick that son-of-a-bitch Bison's ass so HARD... that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it. Now who wants to go home... and who wants to go with ME!

Ranks right up there with Bill Pullman's Independence Day speech for pure inspiration.

No comments: